Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What's For Breakfast?

I love that every morning, before Brian leaves for work, he says, "what should I eat for breakfast"?  It's become something I just expect from him, along with my goodbye kiss - of course.  :)  I mean, he pretty much knows that an egg, bacon, and pancake buffet is never going to happen before 8:00am.  So, what does he expect?   


He gets so overjoyed when I tell him that along with his Greek Yogurt, (which he seriously takes to work EVERYDAY) I got him Pop-Tarts, Toaster Strudels or Cereal Bars. 


SIDE NOTE: My mother-in-law is probably cringing, or crying at this right now.  . .saying,  "Awww, bless her little heart for trying, but she will never give him the breakfasts that I gave him". His mom makes bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes and fresh squeezed orange juice every morning for us when we go to visit.  Don't worry Linda, I am giving him excellent lunches and dinners to make up for it!  :)      


Anyway, I got sick of buying "crap" for breakfast.  I know it's not good for either of us.  Of course, my mind went right to Pinterest for healthy breakfast ideas.  I found a recipe by Smashed Peas and Carrots, called No-Bake Energy Bites.  I figured, since Brian is always coming home at lunchtime, saying, "I AM SO TIRED" he needed the energy.  AND, I love that it is no-bake.  Anything that says "no-bake" is my best friend.


I took the recipe from Smashed Peas and Carrots, and I modified it a tad bit.


No-Bake Energy Bars
Recipe: Slightly adapted from Smashed Peas and Carrots

3 packets of Low-Sugar Quaker Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal
1/2 cup of all-natural peanut butter (we make our own at a local grocery store)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, and an extra handful to sprinkle on top
1 tsp vanilla

 
Mix everything together in a medium bowl, until incorporated.  Put a layer of parchment paper in an 8x8 dish.  Empty mixture into the dish.  Press firmly, and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top (use a spoon to press them into the mixture).  Let the bars chill in the refrigerator for up to an hour. 

Then, cut into small squares, and serve!  They stay good for up to a week, in an airtight container.  (I am too lazy to roll them into balls, as the original recipe calls for...but I am sure they taste just as good cut up into a square!)   
 
Brian is so thrilled about this new breakfast I have for him.  He "pre-tasted" a bar yesterday, and thought it was amazing.  I am thinking how wonderful this is going to be.  All I have to do is mix these ingredients together on Sunday night, and package them in little baggies.  Then, he is good to go for the whole week, with yogurt in tow, of course!
Give these a try!  It is such a healthy way to start the morning.  And, BONUS, these are chocked full of natural energy - none of that Monster/RedBull junk.  Feel free to add other ingredients, and get creative with the recipe!  Nuts, raisins, dried fruit...that all sounds like a pretty delicious way to start your day!




2 comments:

  1. Those look delish! I'm going to have to whip those up for us next week! Double the coconut for me! - Our mornings are majorly chaotic - and unlike Brian, Nick isn't lucky enough to have a pretty lady hand him meals in the am - It's everyone for themselves in this household ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...but I would never make Mountain Dew Cupcakes for my hubby...so I think we are even! :)

    ReplyDelete