Friday, March 23, 2012

Home Sweet Home - In The Bathroom, That Is

Don't you always feel better in your own bathroom?  I know for me, even if we stay at a really nice hotel, I am still like, "ewww...other people (with planters warts and toe fungus) have stepped foot in this shower"!  AND YOU KNOW those maids aren't scrubbing with 409 Antibacterial Foam.  Oh no they're not!  It's some concoction, with a Water to Mr. Clean ratio of 99-1.  Or, I think about all the people that sneeze (or worse) and touch the knobs on the sink...and like before, the maids aren't using Lysol Wipes to clean up after them.  They are using the same rag that they used in rooms 209-229 to clean off those knobs.  GROSS!  I'm sorry if you have never thought of this before, but now you will.  I have completely ruined your future hotel stays.
bathroom - filthy
This is an actual hotel bathroom in Budapest.  OMG!  RUN!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ReviewPhotos-g274887-d285439-r68621846-Alfa_Hotel_Fiesta-Budapest.html#25988933 

  Well, even my bathroom downstairs was starting to feel like a hotel (not like the one above, though).  I knew it was clean, because I clean it...but it just wasn't MY bathroom upstairs.  But, now I am home at last.  Home Sweet Bathroom Home!

Basement bathroom- so hard to say goodbye to you...wink wink







































I know, you are probably wondering why I don't use the basement bathroom all the time.  It is really nice, clean, and updated.  There is more room, and there is a bigger area to get ready in.  Well, let me tell you why.  It's cold in the wintertime...why even bother to shave, because when you get out, hair 
is back within seconds.  And, in the summertime, it is too humid/damp, why even bother washing your hair, it's already wet from sweating (Oh So Nasty).
 
For the past 3 months, I have had to shower, brush my teeth, and wash my face in the basement bathroom.  While it's a good leg workout, (going up and down the stairs) and I know I have stair stepped at least 200 calories off my bod... I'm tired.  I just want to walk around the corner from my bedroom, and do my business.  That's just general bathroom talk - no pun intended.  

SO...it happened.  It actually happened.  My amazing, talented, and handy husband finished - well, almost finished, the bathroom.  We still have a few loose ends that we need to tie up, but they are so minor, you won't even find them in the pictures below.


Remember, this is what it looked like before


AND NOW...Check out the pics of the finished bathroom, below.  


 Still not sure which one I am going to use as the accent towel.  Looking for a big, dark grey, plush towel for underneath one of these lucky guys who will be proudly displayed in the Licht's bathroom!  :)  TOWELS -www.westelm.com TOWEL BAR - www.target.com

My first medicine cabinet, and I AM LOVING IT!  It holds so much that I used to clutter my sink top with.  MIRROR: www.kohler.com YIKES, I need to take an iron to my curtain, don't I?



Let's take a look inside of you.  Oh, you are so spacious!  Trust me, I've since filled her up!   We didn't add this cabinet to just hold toothbrushes and hairspray!

Isn't this light fixture luxurious?  LAMP/LAMPSHADE: www.lowes.com

Just another view, isn't she a beauty?

Updated light switch plate.  Hey, it beat the plastic beast we had before.  PLATE: www.target.com

My hotel shower, minus the warts and toe fungus!

Couldn't do anything about the window, so we figured we'd keep on giving the neighbors a show!  :)

Love the look of marble, it feels so clean.  Our tub was re-glazed for just under $400. - saved us about $1000, vs. putting in a new tub.  MARBLE: www.lowes.com (approx. 400 pieces) PAINT COLOR: BEHR - Gentle Rain (www.homedepot.com)  SHOWER CURTAIN: www.westelm.com

Updated knobs to match our original door knobs.  1920's glass door knobs.  KNOBS: www.target.com

TRASH CAN: www.target.com TOILET PAPER HOLDER: www.target.com

VANITY: www.restorationhardware.com


I wanted matching brushed nickel faucets...easier to cover up water stains!   Hey, whatever works, right? I'm a busy mom!  :)  SINK/SHOWER FAUCETS: www.lowes.com (MOEN)


AND, THIS IS IT


RUG: www.westelm.com  FLOOR TILE: Hampshire Slate 16x16-cut to 8x16 www.homedepot.com

WHITE CABINET: www.target.com
TOILET: www.kohler.com ---comfort height...oooh lala!

See this empty space?  I have ordered something on Etsy.com to finish off the decor.  Pictures to come!  And, we still need two towel hooks for behind the door.  Just haven't found any that scream, "HANG A TOWEL ON ME".


Are you inspired to renovate a room in your house?  Now that we've done our bathroom (minus having to touch up/buy a few things yet) I am already wondering what room to do next?  Basement laundry room?  I have a vision for that...who knows what will pop up next!  I am sure my hubby can't wait to hear my next request!  Happy Friday to you guys!



3 comments:

  1. Very nice!!!.....Brian did an excellent job

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Brian ! Nice decorating job Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read about your DIY bathroom remodel, I said to myself that this will definitely take time to accomplish. But your hard work paid off; it was nicely done! From tiles to fixtures, everything blends well with one another. Anyway, it’s quite late, but congratulations on your new baby boy. :-)

    Gilbert Dubinsky

    ReplyDelete