Thursday, March 8, 2012

Bathroom Remodel - DIY

Since the Packers have been off TV for a few months, my dreams about Clay Matthews have stopped. 



Yes, this is him...sigh



Look at those highlights...ugh, enough to make a girl jealous!




How I picture him on our wedding day

Our cake topper

Perfect for little Matthews


Yes, this is the dream I gave up, to dream about a bathroom remodel...(once again, sigh...)

I have now started dreaming about more realistic things, like, my husband finishing the "honey do" list.  The list is quite long, but, let's face it...I'm worth it. :)  I know my hubby would agree with that.  I just know it!

The first thing on the list was to redo the bathroom, aka, the closet with a loo (spoken with a British accent).  While we couldn't do anything about the size of the bathroom, we decided to just make it look nice so that people would feel.... ummmm....comfortable in there?  :)  The bathroom is original to the 1920's bungalow home that we live in.  It is small, cramped, but has so much character. Can a bathroom even have character?  I don't know?

SO, let the tear down begin...




The way it was before


Ewwww, you should have seen the mold he encountered



Mold, mold and more mold.


All cleaned up, and cement board was screwed in

And the marble goes up.  We had to buy about 400 pieces of tile to complete the shower.


Brian spaced the tiles 1/16 of an inch apart, which was tedious work.


Doesn't it look better already?


The vanity came out, and our bathroom looked HUGE


Naturally, underneath two layers of tile and linoleum, was the original marble tile (basket weave-which is so hard to do, and very uncommon nowadays) with a green accent color.  Too bad it didn't work with my design scheme.


Kind of would have looked cool, had my new accent color been green. 


So hard to say goodbye to my old crapper
The guy came to re-glaze our tub today.  I came home and saw this set up in our bathroom.  I instantly thought that I was living out a Dexter episode


Thank God for ventilation.  I was already concerned that Jacob had become high from the fumes, due to his 3 hour nap. 

You know, it's amazing...Brian told me that he could knock this project out in a month...AND I BELIEVED HIM!  2 months later...

Every night that Brian came home from work, he'd do a little bit more, and a little bit more...and I actually started to realize that I missed him.  I missed just laying around on the couch, watching our trashy shows together, eating late night ice cream, and getting my feet rubbed (yes, he actually rubs my feet every night...well, did until the bathroom reno came along)  Brian has been in the bathroom for two straight months, and it's gotten so bad that Jacob actually walks to the bathroom during the day saying, "daddy?".  I have to explain that daddy is at work, at his other job.  So, all in all, I think we will all be happy when this is over!

Brian is still working on the bathroom, but we can't wait to share the final results!  Should be done soon!  We had a man come to our house today to re-glaze our bathtub.  Then, next week, we have a painter coming to paint our walls.  That should pretty much wrap it up!  I can't wait to have my husband bathroom  foot rubs back!  

5 comments:

  1. Looks great so far! Way to go Brian! That marble tile is beautiful - can't wait to see the finished room...then can you come and help with ours?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! We will have the after pictures up very shortly! Hmmmm...what's your hourly rate? I might cut you a deal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article and great knowledge. Thanks for the share. I love this story and enjoy with your words!
    Basketweave Tiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hate mold! This is the reason why I have decided have my bathroom renovated. Now, I’m enjoying my time in the bathroom! I also have installed a dehumidifier and I make sure that my bathroom has good ventilation. Also, I have installed a glass door in the shower room to prevent the water from spilling to the tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thought of mold alone is annoying already! Good thing you were able to detect the mold in your bathroom, or it might have put your family at risk for serious health problems. It's not enough that you changed your tiles; make sure that you use proper mold removal products as well. I hope that you'd be able to maintain the cleanliness of your bathroom.

    ReplyDelete