Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year Resolution...

Like every person in America, my husband and I have decided we want to shed some weight.  Since having Jacob, I got off most of my baby weight, but Brian is still struggling.  :)  Kidding!  No, truth is, we both just want to be healthier.  Brian and I made a promise to each other (when we got married) that we'd let each other know if we were getting too big.  However, we both were too afraid to say anything - apparently.  Pants don't lie...when both of us had spare tires chillin' on top of our belts, we knew it was time to do something.

Photo courtesy of: muffintopexercises.org
SO....we did it, we are on Weight Watchers.  The other night, I sat, in the basement, at the computer on weightwatchers.com.  I got all the way through the whole sign up process, and then it said, "enter your credit card information".  I thought, crap...my credit card is all the way upstairs.  I am too lazy to go get it.  I'll do it tomorrow.  AND...that's when I knew I had a problem.

The next day, I signed us up!


We started yesterday...I poured Brian a bowl of cereal (3/4 cup) in the morning.  He was like, "What the hellck is this?"  I told him it was his breakfast.  We stared at our cereal bowl for about a minute, laughing.  We've never seen a cereal bowl with only 45 cheerios in it.  We are used to filling it up to the top, and sometimes going back for seconds.  I guess this is our new lifestyle.


Not everything is so bad, though!  Last night I made a delicious chili from weightwatchers.com (posted below).  We had company over for dinner.  I don't normally make a "low-fat" meal when I have guests over, but I thought what the heck, it's worth a shot.  Our friend LOVED IT.  However, we were all sweating and our noses were running.  I replaced the floral arrangement with a box of Kleenex, as our centerpiece.  I suggest not putting 1 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes in this recipe.  Tone it down a bit. 


We have high hopes for 2012.  Happy New Year to you all!

Hearty Turkey Chili

NA
Weight Watchers Recipe
698 people rated this recipe
6PointsPlus Value
Prep time:  25 min
Cook time:  58 min
Serves: 6
A bowl of hot chili is so satisfying on cold fall days. Ours boasts kidney beans, lean turkey and lots of vegetables, well-seasoned and sprinkled with scallions.

Ingredients:
1 spray(s) of cooking spray
1 tsp canola oil
1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
2 medium uncooked carrot(s), thinly sliced into rounds
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs paprika
1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp Durkee ground cumin, or other brand
2 medium fresh tomato(es), chopped
1 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
1 cup(s) canned chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup(s) cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium green pepper(s), chopped
1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1/4 cup(s) uncooked scallion(s), chopped




Instructions:
Coat a large pot with cooking spray; place over medium heat.  Add oil and onion; saute onion until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.  Add garlic and carrots; cook until garlic is softened, about 1 minute.  Add turkey; brown meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 minutes.  Stir to break up lumps.


Add chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, cumin, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, beans and green pepper; bring mixture to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper; garnish with scallions.  Yields about 1 cup per serving. 

5 comments:

  1. I love this, Lauren. :) You make me smile! Good luck with your 2012 goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Keep posting and I will try to follow along and keep those recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i sure love you...following you on here makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHHA Hilarious about the cheerios! I never look at the serving size for food...one row of Oreos is standard, right?!?
    Good luck on your healthy endeavor, see you guys next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading your blog! I laughed about the Cheerios, because I've been there and remember that thought! WW is the best plan!! Good luck to you guys!!

    ReplyDelete